Tuesday 14 August 2007

Live on a yacht or not?

The winner of last Friday’s EuroMillions has now come forward to claim their £35m prize. Once I got over the intense feelings of jealousy I started to wonder how much I would have liked to win the cash and what I would do with it if I had.
This day-dreaming is hardly surprising and I bet I wasn’t the only person thinking how this money would change their life. But it did make me wonder whether most people would give up their job if they won.
There’s no shortage of people who say they hate their job and wish they didn’t have to work, but I don’t think it’s laziness, I think because of the actual work or more likely because of a ‘human’ element within the company. So what about those people who jump out of bed in the morning and can’t wait to get to the office? What motivates them? What makes them so happy in their work?
I think the difference is doing something you believe in and hopefully working with others who do as well. Maybe it’s not that simple but surely even winning £35m won’t stop you believing in something you think is right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only people i know that REALLY believe in what they're doing are working for charities.

If only there were some middle ground between working for what you believe in (and earning a pittance) and doing a job that your heart's not in that nonetheless pays a half decent wage.

Am i just being a cynic?

Unknown said...

How I would spend £35M, well family first, then mates, then me. And what is left over goes on one of the best hols of all ruddy time. Then the hospital bills....