Wednesday 20 June 2007

Managers - Want to keep your staff happy? Just talk to them.

As part of a team that trains people to be the best communicators they can be (we really do) I would say that communication is something I a) think about rather a lot and b) consider to be highly important. This week, however, my attention has been drawn to the importance of good internal comms - namely in the workplace.

The strength of communication between employers and employees could, I believe, well be the make or break of any organisation. Talking to your staff, and allowing them the freedom to respond openly and confidently has got to be the most basic yet most powerful way to a happy workplace. And, in stark contrast, an environment in which staff are not properly addressed has to be a sure-fire way to lose their trust, their loyalty and confidence.

Learning to be better communicators, and better still, learning to manage staff through the aid of good communication will produce something priceless for any employee at any level; a feeling of respect and of integrity.

We offer various courses that help turn people into better communicators, and one in particular that addresses communication as an imperative feature of good management. However one tip that I would offer to all managers for immediate affect is this; make sure you talk and really listen to your staff; after all, they are what makes your organisation.

Does communication matter to you as an employee? As an employer? Have you had any particularly good/bad experiences of communication in the workplace? Feel free to discuss without fear of retribution..!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a person who has been treated with contempt by a few previous bosses I can say that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Working as I have in small organisations I can say that they normally 'wing' internal communitcations - I don't just mean lack of communication but incorrect communication also exists, and I've experienced divisive and downright devious plays by individuals you are supposed to trust.

Coupled with this is the lack of effort when communicating: Why would you spend weeks writing and re-writing proposals and pitch documents for an external audience when the documents you internally circulate (like reviews) are full of bad grammar, spelling mistakes and the like. Makes me think, if you can't even spell my name right, what is there to suggest you care about me at all or that your word can be trusted? I am not stupid and eternally resent those who try to treat me as such.

Now however, I work in an amazing environment where my boss is utterly superior to any previous boss I ever had. I am supported, encouraged, respected, understood and trusted, as well as friendly micky-taking and banter which I think is vital for small teams as they grow.

Consequently, I am very happy to break my back for my team and don't think twice about making sacrifices or working above and beyond the call of duty. I know it will be rememered, recognised and appreciated.

Knowing that such wonderful workplaces exist now, i know that a company which doesn't care for its most valuable resource, its people, will lose any battle and eventually fold pathetically when it comes to the crunch. And just you watch an ex employee rant to the hundreds of people they know about how poopoo caca the guilty organisation is, damaging their reputation for good, and deservedly so.

Bad bosses, beware, it is the year of the boomerang and we don't have to put up with your double standards and tyranny; if you lie to your people you will be found out.

Anonymous said...

One of the easiest (and then maybe then the least effective form of communication) is the "all staff" email - they are so hard to get right. One of the best communicators I have worked with always took time to take people to one side and chat through news / change. One of the worst always used a poorly written all staff email - guaranteed to be forwarded on to family, friends, colleagues and competitors and then laughed at!

Anonymous said...

One thing bad managers think they can get away with is lying. It doesn't work, the staff realise it and soon start to question everything the boss does.
Is honesty too much too ask?