Monday 14 May 2007

Do the scientologists need some communication skills training or just the BBC?

The scientologists seem to get quite a lot of flak for their ‘religion’. And they’re are about to get some more as Panorama documents them tonight on BBC 1.

In response, however, they have released a rather embarrassing video on you tube of a BBC journalist losing his rag in a big way with some scientologists (who seem to keep fairly calm). The guys he is interviewing do seem quite sinister in a sort of Men in Black kind of way so perhaps he was justified in blowing his top – of course we don’t get to see the first bit on their video.
But a broadcast journalist from the beeb really ought to have known better than to start hurling abuse at someone when there are cameras about – one top tip in media training is ‘always assume the cameras are on’ and I suppose he forgot about that one. Not sure the beeb would be all that keen on Bluewood providing their journalists with media training…maybe I should give them a call…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched the programme “Scientology and Me” on the BBC’s Panorama. I must say that after viewing the harassing behaviour of members of that cult (yes a cult, it’s not a religion, no matter what they say) I too would have exploded. However I would not have stopped at a shouting match, I would have had old Tom Cruise looky-likey, Tommy Davis, in a strong head lock, after being followed for days, spied upon and even followed to the toilets. Though they would have tasered me off him and I would have lost a job at the BBC. I would then most probably, have had my home picketed my and ‘speed camera transgressions’ posted to all my neighbours and local conveniences. Of course this opinion of mine could be all down to those negative alien souls that surround me and influence my cynical actions. (So they say)

One wonders if the Church (sic) of Scientology understands the term public relations. I would suggest that it is the Cult of Hubbard that needs to invest in the professional advice of Bluewood and not ‘Old Auntie Beeb’.

Anonymous said...

I agree, no one in the programme came across well. Media training all round!

Gemma said...

You would have thought that the BBC journo would have realised how badly the Scientologists were coming across and left them to it.

His losing his rag certainly communicated the level of frustration he felt though, and although it's obviously not the done thing (especially for the Beeb), it was refreshing to see a BBC reporter conveying a bit of passion!

Do you think that Mr Tom Cruise/MIB had a point about his reporting not being in any way objective though? Although there was much to ridicule (and their surveillance was intense to say the least)he did only seem to be making a mockery of every single Scientologist he came across.

Although then again, they were a very odd bunch...